Historic Fort Willow


Location: Barrie Ontario
Region: Southwestern
Character: Historical
Activities:
Rating:

Historic Fort Willow
By Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority

Strategically located as a supply depot during the War of 1812, the Fort Willow area was also actively used for centuries by our Aboriginal peoples, the fur trade and French explorers as part of a major transportation route known as the 9 Mile Portage.

Recent restorations have located and outlined the buildings used by the soldiers. Information kiosks give a thorough history of the area's past use and how its location helped ensure the geographical boundaries of Canada today.

Hike the surrounding trail network and plan to have lunch at the Fort. The laid-back, peaceful environment that is enjoyed by visitors today is a definite change from years gone by. Picnic tables, washrooms and sheltered rest areas are available for family picnics.

The many Monarch butterflies that call this area home during the summer make for a magical visit as they prepare for their journey south.

HOW TO GET THERE:
From the City of Barrie, go west on County Rd. 90 to George Johnston Road (follow the FW signs). Turn right (north) and travel for 8 km. Turn left onto Portage Road and travel for 3 km to the front gates.