Eugenia Falls Conservation Area


Location: Eugenia Ontario
Region: Southwestern
Character: Day use
Activities:
Rating:
Length/Size: 23 hectares

Eugenia Falls Conservation Area
By Grey Sauble Conservation

Situated in the very tiny village of Eugenia, Eugenia Falls Conservation Area encompasses 23 hectares of Niagara Escarpment, river valley and upland forests. The site features hiking trails, a picnic pavilion, privies and a war memorial, as well as the 30 metre tall waterfall.

When first discovered in 1852, Eugenia Falls was the scene of a 'Fools Gold' rush. Later it became the location of five mills and a small private electric plant and by 1905, it was chosen to be the site of the second hydroelectric plant in Ontario (Georgian Bay Power Company). In 1915, Ontario Hydro moved the plant to the north and created Lake Eugenia, allowing more control over water levels.

The waterfall was called Eugenia following a suggestion from some ex-soldiers of the French army (Crimean War), working with Charles Rankin surveying the former Artemesia Township. They suggested that the waterfall be named after Princess Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III.